Saturday 31 January 2009

On the move...

Cooper is officially on the move. He started by rocking on his belly and rolling to get where he wanted to, and after only a few days, he discovered that commando crawling doesn’t only work in the bath!

It didn’t take long for Cooper to get the hang of crawling, even if he did drag his feet behind him, only using his arms to move himself. It happened at around the time that we stopped using the walker, as Cooper was getting into everything and we decided to wait until he can sit up before we use it more. He crawls around the floor and sucks on anything that he can get near his mouth. He particularly loves my fake Crocs as he sticks his fingers in the holes, and if he sees spots of sun peeking through the curtain onto the floor he'll crawl over and spend ages trying to grab them with his whole hand.

There are a few photos that I’ve included that show some of Cooper’s sad faces. He grunts quite loudly for up to ten minutes when he fills his nappies, and I discovered one day that if I copy him (albeit while smiling), he doesn’t like it and he cries. I only did it a few times, but one time I took some photos so that I can show him when he is big (good for his 21st perhaps!). If he is frightened by something he will always give a frown before he starts to cry, including some people who try to make his smile.

A couple of weeks into the month, Cooper weaned himself from the breast. He had been on formula feeds for two feeds each day since he was 10 weeks old, and had started to fuss more during his 2.30pm feed. One night he simply refused the breast and screamed until I had a bottle ready for him. I was sad, but luckily Cooper helped with the transition by taking a few small feeds over the next week so that I wasn’t in much pain with it.

Half way through the month we started Cooper on rice cereal, and introduced a few vegies and fruit before the end of the month, such as apple, pear, potato and sweet potato. He seemed to know exactly what to do when I put the spoon near his mouth, and he hungrily devours everything we give him. It only took a week for him to start ‘blurting’ while he was eating, and we’d end up with food all over us. A few firm words and tears ensued over a couple of days and the blurting all but stopped!


Adam was most upset when we decided to turn the car seats around so that they face forward. I’d be driving along and hearing Cooper’s constant little grunts as he tried to sit up, so we decided to make the change. Adam is a little sad to see Cooper’s progress with things because it is a reminder that his little boy is growing up, but he just loves to see Cooper in the rear vision mirror of the car, as do I.

Towards the end of the month Cooper discovered his feet, and would spend ages rolling around on the floor holding them and taking off his socks. He also started to move around his cot at night, and it took me a while to work out how he did it, as his sheet would still be tucked in. He lays on his back and pushes with his feet until he gets out, and then usually plays with his special musical seahorse at the end of the cot. I only discovered this when I had him on his back on the floor getting ready for a bath, and he suddenly went scooting around the room on his back to get away from me. So cute!!

No comments: