Wednesday 16 May 2007

Sun + water = fun!!

Entry from old blog 17 October 2005
When I was a lot younger, my brother, sister and I looked forward to the hot summer days when mum would let us drag out the hose and sprinkler and play under it on the lawn. We'd run through the water for hours, screaming due to its coldness and in delight, and mum would let us do this until the ground got muddy underneath our feet......

We've not long moved into our house, and the previous owner told us that there was sprinkler system in the backyard. It hadn't been used for a few years due to water restrcitions, so he wasn't able to demonstrate it due to the grass that had overgrown the jets. The best he could do was tell us where he thought the jets were.

Being such a warm and sunny Sunday afternoon yesterday, and having been concerned about the lack of green in our grass, I set out on a mission to discover our sprinkler system.

There were four levers for the system, so the first thing I did was turn them all on. Of course, if you turn on all four at once, the water pressure is so low that nothing happens. So I tried just the first one, and was rewarded with some growing puddles in various sections of the lawn. Having found the area where a sprinkler head was, I searched the area until I found the overgrown jet, and then cleared the grass around it and twisted until the water flowed the way it was meant to.

It took me over half an hour to find all of the jets (about 20 in all), after which I was absolutely saturated from the waist down - its a bit hard to avoid the 360 degree coverage each jet. It was a lot of fun though, and the grass didn't even get muddy under my feet!

No comments: